facebook twitter instagram linkedin google youtube vimeo tumblr yelp rss email podcast phone blog search brokercheck brokercheck Play Pause
Insurance Basics: Business Insurance Thumbnail

Insurance Basics: Business Insurance

Choosing the right commercial insurance plan for your business isn't easy; we're here to help you find the right solution for your business that's personalized.

Having the right business insurance is paramount to running a worry-free operation.


General Liability Insurance

It only takes one claim to financially cripple your business, so it's important that you have adequate coverage from a highly rated carrier.

At its core, General Liability Insurance (a.k.a. Commercial General Liability or CGL) is the most basic form of commercial liability coverage. If you own a business, having General Liability coverage is not optional—it's mandatory.

What Does General Liability Insurance Cover?

Business is inherently risky, but General Liability Insurance protects against many known and unknown risks.

Simply put, CGL guards you, your business, and your employees from claims involving bodily injury or property damage born out of your business operations. These policies cover the expenses of out-of-court settlements, litigation, and judgments awarded by courts. Oftentimes, CGL is paired with Business Personal Property (BPP) coverage in a Business Owners Policy (BOP).

Here are a few things you can expect General Liability Insurance to cover:

  • Lawsuits, investigations, and settlements.
  • Injury damages.
  • Advertising/copyright claims.

What's Involved in Getting CGL Insurance?

With any type of insurance, there are certain underwriting and eligibility questions that must be answered for the insurance company to determine what the final rating will be.

Many times, companies will require you to show them a certificate of insurance before you can do work for them. This proves to them that you have active insurance coverage, which is a requirement for running a business in most states.

Depending on the type of business you own, you may need specialized insurance for your industry. Breweries, auto mechanics, and building contractors all require specialized coverage.

Commercial Package Policy vs. Business Owners Policy (BOP)

Think of a Commercial Package Policy as a stereo system for which you buy each component individually. You can buy the receiver, speakers, remote, and every other part and accessory separately, but they all fit together to produce that great sound you've been looking for.

In contrast, a BOP is much like a stereo-in-a-box. All the pieces you need come prepackaged to help protect against the risks that most commonly affect mom-and-pop shops across the country.

A BOP can be broken down into two main sections: property and liability. If this sounds familiar, then yeah, it is exactly like the policy on your house. There are a few differences, so let's get down to it.

The property coverage of a BOP covers your business stuff, whether that be the building you own, the office equipment you use, the computers you process payments or design rad new fonts with (that's a thing, right?), or even the chair you're sitting in as you read this—if it's your work chair. If your business owns it, the BOP covers it. EXCEPT for cars, planes, boats, anything you can get in and drive around in. A BOP doesn't really do those, leaving them to other policies for coverage. Also, a BOP doesn't cover what is IN your computers (i.e., the data).

Another major difference is the special business protection under a BOP's property section, which can be broken into two parts. One of these is Business Income Coverage, which helps you make up for any income lost when your business is closed due to a covered loss. The other is Extra Expense Coverage, which can cover extra expenses to help you stay open after a covered loss. Both are aimed at helping your business stay afloat after a property loss that would otherwise put you out of commission, whether that be a fire in your building or someone stealing a laptop that contains your entire design company within its shiny body. While the work required to recover from this loss wouldn't be covered, the income that would have kept you in business would be taken care of by your BOP.

For more information on insurance, feel free to contact our team, California Retirement Advisors, at cradvisors.com or call at 888-643-7472 to request a meeting with one of our licensed advisors.

By Christian Cordoba
Founder, California Retirement Advisors

Investment advisory services offered through Mutual Advisors, LLC DBA California Retirement Advisors, a SEC registered investment adviser. Securities offered through Mutual Securities, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC. Mutual Securities, Inc. and Mutual Advisors, LLC are affiliated companies. CA Insurance license #0B09076. This content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information and provided by California Retirement Advisors. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. California Retirement Advisors, nor any of its members, are tax accountants or legal attorneys and do not provide tax or legal advice. For tax or legal advice, you should consult your tax or legal professional.